Contact Address Details:
Banjul Head Office Secretariat
16th Street Fajara M Section
PO Box 4216 Bakau
Kanifing Municipality, Ksmd
The Gambia, West Africa
Tel no: +220 4498068
Sierra Leone Office
Conscience International Sierra Leone (CISL)
13A Bass Street, Off Kingherman Road
Conscience International Liberia (CIL)
LETCOM Office Building
Corner of Benson Street & Gurley Street
Tel no: +231 88 6-522032
International (CI) is a registered non-governmental
human rights organisation in Gambia which also focuses on
environmental, developmental and health issues. It was formerly
known as People Against Injustice and was founded in January
2004. In late 2008 it opened affiliate office in Sierra Leone
and another in Liberia in 2011.
The CI Gambia Chapter is an activist organisation that seeks
to broaden awareness and adherence to the various human rights
treaties and to create networks with similar international,
West African and national bodies.
Goals & Objectives:
• To push for a greater sharing of information among all entities
in society including government officials and other human
• To encourage strong partnerships with like-minded institutions
worldwide & locally.
• To create a resource centre for environment & human
rights stocked with periodicals, magazines, newsletters, booklets
and audio-video materials.
• To carry out fact finding missions, documentation and research
of its focus areas of interest.
• To enhance the capacity of activists engaged in human rights,
health & the environment.
• To educate and inform citizenry through seminars and workshops
about their basic human rights and obligations guaranteed
by the constitution of The Gambia and by international conventions.
• To provide information of the legal remedies and rights
of susceptible groups such as the physically challenged, refugees,
children, women and internally displaced people.
• To promote democratic values, good governance, respect for
the rule of law and statutory protection of people's rights.
Conscience International (Gambia) has an internship programme
for human rights students and professionals and those who
have just graduated from university. Its purpose is to provide
people to gain supervised practical experience in order to
gain the essential skills to move forward with their careers.
The duration of the placement is anywhere from 2 weeks to
1 full year.
Partners & Affiliations:
• Member of The Darfur Consortium
• Member: W. Africa Refugee & Internally Displaced Persons
• Member: International Network for Economic, Social and Cultural
• Member: NGO Coalition for the International Criminal Court
• Observer Status: African Commission on Human and Peoples
Rights of the African Union (AU)
• Partner: Special Court in Sierra Leone
and others locally and internationally.