Gambia Senior Secondary School
1 Box Bar Road (Wallace Cole Rd.)
The Gambia, West Africa
+220 4227394 (Main switchboard)
4229282 (Principal's office)
4226007 (Vice Principal)
4224540 (Staff Room)
The Gambia Senior Secondary School has its origins back
in 1876 when the institution was founded on Dobson Street,
Banjul, by the Wesleyan Mission. This followed the visit
over 25 years earlier of Mother Anne-Marie Javouhey,
first of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny, who visited
Bathurst and planned a mission which came into being
In 1898 the school was re-opened as as the Methodist
Boys' High School and in 1915 the Girls High School
was opened in what is currently Albion Lower Basic.
The girls' and boys' high schools were merged in 1959
to form the Gambia High School and moved to the junction
at the main entry point into the Banjul capital and
Box Bar Road.
In 1994 the name was changed yet again to the Gambia
Senior Secondary School when the Government's education
policy was changed.
The main curriculum is science based though other subject
areas such as the arts and business studies is also
taught in classes.
Boys 880 and girls 849
The school is on 2 shifts: Morning and afternoon shift.
There are 18 classes from Grade 10 to 12 in the morning
and 12 classes in the afternoon.