RVTH Banjul capital
PO Box 1515 Banjul
The Gambia, West Africa
Tel no: 4228223 / 4228224
( Royal Victoria Teaching Hospital) was built in 1853
by the British Government, who also provided funds for
a substantial improvement in facilities and subsequently
handed it over to the Gambian Government.
This financing provided many of the buildings that make
up the teaching hospital today.
Formerly known as the RVH the RTVH is a 650-bedded tertiary
hospital based in the capital, Banjul. It is the leading
referral hospital in The Gambia and has recently become
a Teaching Hospital to train Gambians to become doctors.
In the late 1990s, The Gambian Government decided that
it had to reduce its dependency on foreign doctors by
establishing a medical school in the University of The
Gambia. The UTG uses RVTH to teach its clinical students.
Daily it treats an average of nearly 650 patients a
The hospital is financed by the Government through its
subvention scheme however, this is regularly found to
be insufficient to fund all its services. To ease the
financing difficulties a number of donors make gifts
of cash and equipment to the hospital. Some donors have
regularly helped the Banjul.
Internal medicine, paediatrics, surgery, and obstetrics
/ gynaecology as well as related units situated within
the grounds are: orthopaedics; radiology;
pathology; laparoscopic gynaecology, ear, nose,
and throat and a department of clinical and laboratory