bridge is situated at the mouth of Oyster Creek connects
the mainland with St. Mary's Island where the capital
is located to the rest of the Gambia. It was completed
in 1986 and is 210 metres long and 20 metres wide and
is a continuous girder bridge which spans the creek,
a watercourse which connects the Tanbi Wetland Complex
of mangroves with the Atlantic ocean.
forms a section of the Banjul Serekunda highway and
in 2008 it had 'cat's eyes' reflectors placed their
by a Gambian living in Germany. The bridge is sometimes
called "Check Point Charlie", because of the
number of police and military people their.
Bridge is named after Sir George Chardin Denton (b.
1851; † 1928), who was a governor of the Gambia between
1900 - January 1911.
There is a place to stay nearby and easily accessible
by road & boat called the Denton
Oyster Creek Area:
The area to the east of the bridge is used mainly by
operators and boating trip organisers in Banjul.
are also a number of peanut processing warehouses, a
factory and a fish processing plant their.
Only a small part of the area is dry land and thus suitable
for building structures and the general area is just
above sea level.
present are resident breeders and Palearctic passage
or winter visitors are both represented.