Contact Address Details:
Gambia National Library Services Authority
Reg Pye Lane
P.O Box 552
Tel no: +220 422 8312
The GNLSA was initially founded as a book subscription public
lending library in in Banjul back in 1946 and was run
by the British Council. In April 1962 the British Council
shut down its office and gave its library in the Banjul capital
city to the government.
1971 the name was changed to the Gambia National Library.
In 1974 the British government gave £575,000 for the construction
of a new building, books, equipment and furniture. When the
new complex was opened it was established as the national
library in 1976 by the Library Board Act. A branch was set
up in Brikama, Western Region, in 1990.
In 2009 an act of parliament established the
Gambia Library Services Authority which gave the body more executive
powers and independence to carry out its mandate more effectively.
It is the national coordinator for library and information
issues and can impose penalties for non-adherence and encompasses
various types of informational materials & literature such as
monographs, important press clippings, reference, maps, magazines,
bibliographic services, newspapers,
digital / electronic records and audio-visual recordings.
The GNLSA's collections are acquired through gifts, direct
purchases, original legal depository, reports, surveys and similar
government and agency documents for archiving.
Over the years the library has donated to the University of
The Gambia medical and other academic books it has received
from their overseas partner library called Book Aid International.
Library collection of almost 100,000 volumes and around
42 + staff
276 + legal deposits / statutes