The Ministry of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology (MoHERST)
was establishment in 2007.
The ministry's departments are the
Directorate of Higher Education, Directorate of Research and Planning
and the Science and Technology Directorate.
The mission of the
• Provide access to relevant and high quality
• provide high quality higher education services
• make science & technology the engine of growth;
• ensure gender equity in education;
• promote the principle of life long learning;
• promote innovation in science and technology;
• promote research in science and technology;
• ensure sustainable environmental growth.
The Gambia had no university. This meant that students intending on
higher education were compelled to go overseas with very few returning
back to Gambia. As a result of this failure the the
University of The Gambia was established
in 1999 to train and retain skills in the country. Since 2005 the
institution has been assisted by the Norwegian Education Trust Fund to
put together a plan of action to identify possible areas of expansion
to meet the needs of the labour force.
Department of Education (Gambia)