Gambia Senior Secondary School
(Wallace Cole Road)
1 Box Bar Road
+220 4227394 (Main
4229282 (Principal's office)
4224540 (Staff Room)
Gambia Senior Secondary School has its origins back in 1876 when the
institution was founded on Dobson Street,
Banjul, by the Wesleyan
Mission. This followed the visit over 25 years earlier of Mother
Anne-Marie Javouhey, first of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Cluny, who
visited Bathurst and planned a mission which came into being in 1849.
In 1898 the school was re-opened as as the Methodist Boys' High
School and in 1915 the Girls High School was opened in what is
currently Albion Lower Basic.
The girls' and boys' high schools were merged in 1959 to form the
Gambia High School (see satellite
map) and moved to the junction at the main entry point
into the Banjul capital and Box Bar Road.
In 1994 the name was
changed yet again to the Gambia Senior Secondary School when the
Government's education policy was changed.
The main curriculum is science based though other subject areas such
as the arts and business studies is also taught in classes.
Boys 880 and girls 849
The school is on 2
shifts: Morning and afternoon shift. There are 18 classes from Grade 10 to 12 in the morning and 12 classes in the afternoon.