The Royal Victoria
Teaching Hospital (RVTH) was built in 1853 by the British
Government, who also provided funds for a substantial improvement
in facilities and subsequently handed it over to the Gambian
This financing provided many of the buildings that make up
the teaching hospital today.
Formerly known as the RVH the RTVH is a 650-bedded tertiary
hospital based in the capital, Banjul. It is the leading referral
hospital in The Gambia and has recently become a Teaching
Hospital to train Gambians to become doctors.
In the late 1990s, The Gambian Government decided that it
had to reduce its dependency on foreign doctors by establishing
a medical school in the University of The Gambia. The UTG
uses RVTH to teach its clinical students.
Daily it treats an average of nearly 650 patients a day.
The hospital is financed by the Government through its subvention
scheme however, this is regularly found to be insufficient
to fund all its services. To ease the financing difficulties
a number of donors make gifts of cash and equipment to the
hospital. Some donors have regularly helped the Banjul.
Internal medicine, paediatrics, surgery, and obstetrics /
gynaecology as well as related units situated within the grounds
are: orthopaedics; radiology; pathology;
laparoscopic gynaecology, ear, nose, and throat and a department
of clinical and laboratory research