1) 1-2 chickens cut into serving pieces
2. 6-8 large onions, sliced
3. 2 tablespoons of Dijon-style mustard
4. 3 heads of garlic (optional)
5. 1 cup of red vinegar
6. 2 fresh chili peppers
7. 1 teaspoon of dried chili peppers
8. 1 tablespoon of black pepper (freshly ground)
9. 6 Maggi © cubes
10. 1 bay leaf
11. 6 lemons or limes
12. Salt to taste
13. Cooking oil
1. Wash the chicken pieces and dry them with a clean
2. Now score the chicken and set aside for later.
3. In a large cooking-pot, mix the onions, garlic, vinegar,
lemon juice, bay leaf, mustard, vinegar and chilies.
4. Now add the chicken pieces, stirring in well - preferably
5. Let the chicken marinate for at least one hour. (For
the best results you can keep the chicken marinating
in the fridge for several hours or overnight).
6. Before any cooking, remove the chicken pieces from
the marinade; and, grill, over charcoal, until done
on both sides.
7. Remove the onions from the marinade; sauté
gently in a little oil until soft and brown.
8. Add the marinade and cook for five minutes.
9. To this, add the chicken pieces and half a cup of
10. Cover with lid and simmer for approximately 30 minutes
or until the chicken is properly cooked; adding the
Maggi© cubes, salt and pepper to taste.
11. Serve with plain boiled rice (preferably Basmati
The recipe is aka as Yassa Gannarr.