Fish Jollof Rice
1) 2 lbs fresh fish
2) 2 cups of vegetable oil
3) 6 cups of water
4) 1 medium fresh tomato
5) 4 tbsp tomato paste
6) 2 large onions
7) 1 small cabbage
8) 2 medium carrots
9) 1 bay leaf
10) 4 cups of rice
11) Salt and pepper to taste
1) Clean and cut fish in halves.
2) Fry the fish in the vegetable oil until both sides
3) Remove fish and add onions, fresh tomato and paste
to the hot oil and fry until brown.
4) Pour water and bring to boil, then include cabbage,
carrots, bay leaf, add seasonings, reduce heat and simmer
for 20 mins.
5) Remove vegetables and add the rice while continuously
6) Reduce heat and cover the pot. Simmer for 10 mins.
• Benachin is sometimes referred to
as cheebu yap (with meat) / Thieboudiene / chebu jen
(with fish). Jollof Rice was invented by a Senegalese
woman named Mam Penda Mbaye of the Wolof ethic group.
Beef & Chicken Jollof Rice
1) ½ lb beef
2) ½ chicken
3) 4 tomatoes
4) 1 large bitter tomato (jaxatu / jahatu)
6) ½ small cabbage
7) 3 cloves of garlic
8) ½ large egg plant "mock tomato"
9) 3 dry bay leaves
10) 4 large onions
12) 2 peppers
13) ¼ small pumpkin
1) Wash and cut the meat into portions. Mix together
and season with black pepper, salt, vinegar and pounded
garlic. Leave to stand for 30 minutes prior to cooking.
2) Prepare vegetables by slicing into portions.
3) Peel, wash and thinly slice the onions.
4) Wash and skin the tomatoes.
5. Fry poultry in pan of hot oil until golden brown
all over then remove and put aside.
6) Fry the beef and leave in cooking pot.
7) Fry the onions until brown, insert scalded and skinned
tomatoes, cook & stir occasionally until it is a
8) Add tomato puree and pounded peppers, cook gently
for quarter of an hour.
9) Add half cup of water mixed with ®Maggie Cubes,
bring to a rapid boil and place the prepared vegetables,
bay leaves, fried chicken, and salt to the pot of meat.
10) Cook for approximately 20 minutes.
11) Take out the vegetables and chicken when cooked
and place in oven on a low heat. Leave the beef in pot
and cook for a further 20 minutes until tender.
12) Place the washed rice to the pot, add sliced peppers
and bring rapidly to boil.
13) Reduce the heat and cook for 25 minutes on a low
heat until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice
is well cooked.
14) Serve the Jollof Rice on a large platter, place
vegetables and meats on the side.