The bridge is situated at the mouth of Oyster Creek connects the
mainland with St. Mary's Island where the capital of Banjul is located
to the rest of the Gambia.
It was completed in 1986 and is 210 metres long and 20 metres wide and is a continuous girder bridge
which spans the
creek, a watercourse
which connects the
Tanbi Wetland Complex of mangroves with the
It forms a section of the Banjul Serekunda highway
and in 2008 it had 'cat's eyes' reflectors placed their by a Gambian
living in Germany.
The bridge is sometimes called "Check Point Charlie",
because of the number of police and military people their.
Bridge is named after Sir George Chardin Denton (b. 1851;
† 1928), who was a governor of the Gambia between 1900 - January
There is a place to stay nearby and easily accessible
by road and boat called the Denton
Oyster Creek Area:
The area to the east of the bridge is used mainly by
operators and boating trip organisers in Banjul.
also a number of peanut processing warehouses, a factory and a
fish processing plant their.
Only a small part of the
area is dry land and thus suitable for building structures and the
general area is just above sea level.
Birds present are
resident breeders and Palearctic passage or winter visitors are both